About Destination

Pacaltsdorp is a suburb of George. It was initially founded as a mission station named Hoogekraal and was renamed Pacaltsdorp after the death of the German-speaking missionary the Reverend Charles Pacalt 1818. He was invited to practice by Kaptein Dikkop leader of the Khoikhoi tribe living in the area. He built up a congregation of about 300.

To-day a number of historic buildings are preserved – The Stone Church – a Norman-style church, originally built from stone, yellow wood glass and clay. Rev Pacalt’s second mission cottage was constructed in approximately 1813. Consisting of sod walls, a that and cow-dung floor , it was declared a national monument in 1976. William Anderson built the first two-storied building with thick stone walls and abundant yellowwood, it was also declared a national monument in 1976.

“The Tree Of Meeting” is a 300 year old tree, to be found opposite the Pacaltsdorp Post Office, in Mission street. The stone building nearby was originally home to some of the very first missionaries. There was no church building yet and church services were conducted under this big Essen wood tree.

Prior to 1994 much of Pacaltsdorp was common land that bordered the Gwaing River and stretched down to the sea, and was used for farming. However, in 2005 two large developments, the Oubaai Golf Estate and Le Grande Golf Estate have developed this Common land and all the sea frontage for upmarket tourism resorts . The remainder of the suburb up to the National road today ,is residential.